Tag Archives: fire

Hanover resident speaks of relief at cladding removal

Abdi Jama, a resident of the Hanover Tower in Broomhill, has spoken of his relief of the removal of the tower’s cladding following the Grenfell tragedy. The Hanover Tower is the only one of 24 Sheffield Council-owned tower blocks that failed safety tests carried out in the aftermath of the Grenfell fire in which 72 people died. Within two weeks of the disaster, works began to remove the Hanover Tower cladding. Baillor Jalloh reports for Sheffield Live!


Grenfell memorial held at Sheffield Town Hall

A memorial gathering has been held outside Sheffield Town Hall to remember the 72 who died as a result of the Grenfell fire in London one year ago. Earlier councillor Jim Steinke, cabinet member for housing, and Nether Edge and Sharrow councillor Michelle Cook, spoke to Sheffield Live! about local authority action to improve fire safety in Sheffield’s tower blocks. Baillor Jalloh reports.

Hanover residents fears six months after Grenfell

Residents living in the Hanover Tower block in Broomhall remain concerned at the slow pace of progress on health and safety measures, six months after the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy in which 71 people died. Following the Grenfell fire, high rise buildings across the country were tested for fire safety. In Sheffield, out of 24 Council-owned tower blocks, the Hanover Tower was the only high rise to fail fire safety tests due to it’s cladding. Residents have been informed that it will take up to two years to fit new cladding to the building and to install the sprinkler systems which have been promised for all Council owned tower blocks in the city. Baillor Jalloh reports for Sheffield Live!

Hanover Tower residents unhappy with fire safety failure

Maintenance teams and contractors have begun to remove cladding on the Hanover Tower in Broomhall after cladding on the building failed government fire safety tests. According to Sheffield Council the work will take weeks to complete but they have told residents it is safe to live in their homes while the work is being carried out. The new fire tests were conducted after the Grenfell Tower tragedy which left at least 80 people dead and many others missing and presumed dead. Baillor Jalloh reports for Sheffield Live!

Fire service review Sheffield towers after Grenfell tragedy

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have begun additional fire safety checks on all tower blocks in Sheffield. Steve Helps, head of protection and prevention, told Sheffield Live that “early indications are that there are no similarities” between the cladding used on Sheffield high risers and the Grenfell Tower Block. He also confirmed the checks will be on all high risers and not just council-run properties. Simon Thake reports for Sheffield Live!

Prove our cladding is safe, tower block tenants tell Sheffield Council

The chair of Gleadless Valley Tenants and Residents Association has challenged Sheffield Council to prove that cladding installed on the six high rise tower blocks at Callow Mount is safe and different to the cladding installed at Grenfell Tower in London. Sally Dale, chair of Gleadless Valley TARA warned that residents are nervous and would like written evidence to prove their buildings are safe. Councillor Jayne Dunn has said checks are being carried out by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. Simon Thake reports for Sheffield Live!

Fire safety review planned in Sheffield after Grenfell Tower tragedy

Sheffield Council have confirmed that additional fire safety checks are to be carried out in residential tower blocks in Sheffield following the Grenfell Tower fire disaster in London. The fire safety review will commence from Monday, 19 June, and will be undertaken by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. Sheffield Live! reporter Azz Mohammed spoke with councillors and local residents at Leverton Gardens on the Lansdowne estate in Sharrow.

Huge recycling plant blaze under control

Over 30 firefighters were involved in quelling the fire that broke out on Monday at ‘Universal Recycling’ in Kilnhurst, Rotherham and which has taken two days to bring under control. Officers said the cause of the incident was accidental and possibly related to machinery. A fire safety review will take place to prevent a recurrence. Azz Mohammed reports for Sheffield Live!

E-cigarette chargers can be fire risk warns Fire Service

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have warned the general public about the risk of fire from E-cigarette chargers after investigations into a house fire in Rotherham. Firefighters were called to the blaze in a house on Roebuck Chase. An E-cigarette charger, found in the lounge, is thought to have been the cause of the fire. Nobody was hurt. Sheffield Live! reporter Simon Thake spoke to Spencer Rowland of South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.