Tag Archives: South yorkshire fire and rescue

E-cigarette chargers can be fire risk warns Fire Service

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have warned the general public about the risk of fire from E-cigarette chargers after investigations into a house fire in Rotherham. Firefighters were called to the blaze in a house on Roebuck Chase. An E-cigarette charger, found in the lounge, is thought to have been the cause of the fire. Nobody was hurt. Sheffield Live! reporter Simon Thake spoke to Spencer Rowland of South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.

South Yorkshire firefighters hold open day at Eyre Street

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service held an open day event at their Eyre Street station today to raise awareness of their work and to raise funds for charity. There wash a car wash for charity donations, an exhibition of old fire service vehicles from the National Emergency Services Museum, and a demonstration on road collision safety. Shamaan Freeman-Powell reports for Sheffield Live!

Firefighters out in force for emergency response training

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Services have tested their capability to respond to a major blaze as part of a service-wide exercise. Dozens of emergency services vehicles lined up outside the former Prince Edward Primary School on Queen Mary Road. The operation, involving more than 60 on duty firefighters and 10 standard fire engines, was the biggest training session of the year. Shamaan Freeman-Powell spoke to Assistant Chief Fire Officer Martin Blunden.

New fire safety campaign

By Alice Rose

A fire service campaign which intends to make people aware of the danger of electrical chargers has won European backing.

The campaign was started up by South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue following a house fire in which five members of the same family sadly lost their lives.

It is thought that the fire was probably caused by a faulty charger.

Linda McAvan, MEP for Yorkshire and Humber, is backing the campaign to help stop fires, such as the one in Netheredge, from happening again.

“We are doing all that we can to reduce fires in the home at a European level. MEPS have legislated to standardise chargers for mobile devices to both reduce environmental waste and to save you money.”

The legislation was voted on by MEPS in March this year and was approved by ministers in April.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue’s Station Manager Darren Perrott, said:“Most people probably have several electrical chargers lying around at home at any given time, but all we’re asking for is a little bit of common sense when charging them.” Mr Perrot continued “What we’re particularly concerned about is unbranded chargers which can be bought cheaply over the internet. You should only buy chargers which are compatible with the device you are charging, and never leave things charging overnight.”